Wednesday 29 August 2012

Five Year Filofax Journal

A note: All the highlighted words in my blog are clickable links.

A few days ago I told you about my Journal 10.  If you didn't get a chance to read it, please do, this is a wonderful Journal!  Before I bought this Journal, I decided I would have a go at making my own, using my A5 Cuban Filofax. 


What a long task this was. First I was going to need a lot of Filofax Notepaper, about 8 pads, then realised I was never going to be able to fit all this in one Filofax, so instead of doing a ten year diary, like Journal 10, I would do a 5 year Filofax diary. So I spent the next few weeks drawing hundreds of lines and writing in the years and adding the dates.  I did do the months on Sticky labels, but it made the Diary bulk out at the top, so I removed them and wrote them in by hand instead.  I did this all again recently when I made my 365 Journal.  I refuse to draw any more lines, next time I'm shoving the lot in the printer. lol
I made Monthly stickers, similar to the ones I used here, and added them to the dividers.

Then it was just a matter of placing them into the Filofax.

As you can see, 180 plus pages, plus dividers, is going to take up some real estate on those rings.

So once all that was done, time to fill it all in.  I did get quite a bit done, but then got bored with filling in all the previous years details.  (I started this in 2011 but backdated it to 2010) I ended up not finishing it and so I used the dividers for my 365 Journal 

But I wanted to show you, what you can do, if you want to make your own... if you have the patience, and there's no need to go and buy ready made ones.








5 comments:

  1. Your so patient Gail, I admire you, i'm too lazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, I started a five-year diary in a Filofax nearly a year ago now. Mine is personal-sized and has expanded into two binders since I started; I suspect it will continue to expand because I hole-punch and insert so much ephemera. Instead of pre-dating everything, I've just been filling in the date as I go. I also didn't draw lines to divide the page into years, I just count off five lines per year.

    Uhm, mine is really the lazy-person's approach, your diary is all set up, a proper five year diary! I suspect that had I done all of the work up front, I would have been more diligent about keeping it up-to-date; there are a few weeklong chunks that are essentially blank. Even though it was my intention to do a five-year diary from the beginning, it mostly felt like making notes on blank paper. I suspect I'll be much more motivated this coming year, since now I'll have the previous year's entries to look over.

    It sounds like you're doing the 365 journal and the 10-year diary instead of this 5-year diary? Well, I'm looking forward to seeing updates on these long-term projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I gave up on the five year Journal and I need to fill in some more on Journal 10. I am still at the 365 Journal, I think I enjoy that one more as it asks ramdon questions, rather than you just write what you did that day.

      Delete
  3. Greetings from an avid lurker. I now think I want a 5 year diary as well.

    ReplyDelete